If you don’t know already, there are professional Disc golf players in your area. Disc Golf is not the most commonly known sport out there so you may not realize it. Recently I found out that a PDGA professional lives nearby my and his name is Nick Wood. Nick has recently won the White River open, placed second at the Washington State Championships- Doug Newland Memorial, got first in the Battle of Seattle Part IV, and has many other accomplishments. He was a great guy to talk to and i appreciate that he took the time out of his day to answer my questions. here are the questions below, enjoy!
1) What got you into disc golf?
A friend named Paul Huggett showed me disc golf for the first time in Illinois around 2003ish, but it wasn’t until I found my local course here in Washington “Lake Fenwick”, that I got hooked, around 08/09
2) Who did you look up to when you first started off?
The top locals of course, Michael Werth, Bjorn Penney, Chris Waugh, and Kyle Crabtree are the first names that come to mind.
3) Do you enjoy playing in the PNW?
Of course! Pun intended 🙂
4) Do you have any pre-tournament rituals? If so, what are they?
I do have a little pre-tournament round ritual, I play a game I call long 16 which entails throwing 3 putter upshots then putting from each spot. 1 point for making the putt try to get to 16 in 4 rounds. Makes a huge difference for me.
5) What do you enjoy the most about playing Disc Golf?
The pure flight of a disc and all the people that come with the game. Definitely a family atmosphere.
6) What is it like being pro?
Has it’s ups and downs… again, pun intended lol. I love that I am professional enough to be where I am and have the support I do.
7) Do you get recognized when playing in non-tournament settings?
Not often but a few times 🙂
8) Whats your favorite course?
9) What’s your favorite disc?
10) Do you have any advice for young players wanting to go pro?
Learn to feel the pressure and what it’s like to win as an am and it will come a lot easier as a pro.
11) Anything else you’d like the people to know about you?
Discgolflessons.com coming soon! 🙂
I want to thank Nick Wood again for letting me email and talk to him. I hope you enjoyed the Q and A and look out for more in the future!
Picture Credit goes to Nick Woods Facebook.