Community is one of the most important aspects of Disc Golf. Without your community, the courses you love may not be taken care of, you may not have dubs or glow tournaments, or other countless things that go on throughout the year. With this in mind i wanted to start doing a “Hometown Hero” for where I am located. So, The first person I got to be a Hometown Hero is none other than Luke Wondergem! Check out his answers below! Enjoy!
1) How did you get your start into Disc Golf?
I was a die hard ultimate frisbee player and then my mom, bought me an Innova dx starter pack for Christmas one year. Almost a year later I threw them for the first time, now I hardly ever have to lace my cleats up anymore.
2) Over the years, how do you see NW Disc golf growing?
I wouldn’t be surprised if we started to see some PDGA Tour events happening in the next 5-10 years. Currently courses are getting busier, players are getting better, I would expect to see more NW Disc Golfers start touring.
3) What do you do to help make the sport grow?
I show up to work parties to maintain and assist in creating new.
The SPSDGA allows me to run Sunday Morning Random Doubles.
I’ve volunteered at a camp to coach new golfers.
Getting involved with my local club mainly.
4) What does it mean to be a “Hometown Hero”?
Stepping up at the right time, being helpful and bringing a good attitude.
5) Favorite Disc?
Difficult question, too many discs come to mind…
6) Favorite Course?
EVERGREEN, a hidden gem.
7) What has been your favorite memory so far within Disc Golf?
The memory of a recent great shot.. But it is more of the feeling you get after smashing chains or hitting the line you intended to
8) What can we look out for from you next season?
Besides posts on NW Disc Golfers FB page about doubles and a few glow events, I plan on throwing bigger and putting longer. Hopefully playing on some lead cards
9) Do you have any advice for players who want to take their game to the next level?
Field Practice. Trust yourself, trust your discs.
10) You have been described as a “Disc Addict”, do you agree or disagree? why?
I agree…whether playing with friends or rolling through a course with my dog, I love to throw plastic. Disc Golf just makes sense to me.
11) Is there anything else you would like the people to know about you that they may not?
I really appreciate all the great people I’ve played golf with over the past 3 years.
I would like to thank Luke for letting me talk to him and for being the first Hometown Hero! follow Luke on all forms of social media and be on the lookout for more Hometown Heros!
Picture credit goes to Luke Wondergem